Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I hav been notified by an investigating officer about a 15-6

Customer Question

I hav been notified by an investigating officer about a 15-6 incident involving myself and an NCO that I have not seen in over10 years. I do not know any details of the allegation but I am positive it is brought forth by the wife of the NCO who has been stalking and harassing me for a year. The IO wants a conference call next week to take my statement I still don't know any details of the case. Should Ihave an attorney present for this?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If this incident happened over 10 years ago, you would have to try to argue that the allegations are stale or old, but the fact is that there is nothing that places time limits on a 15-6 investigation and charges, so those charges can be filed at any time.
You have the right to remain silent and you really need to do so and you need to have an attorney show up with you in any meeting regarding the investigation. You have the right to remain silent so you need to get your attorney go with you and you need to discuss the benefits to you regarding any statements, especially without being given any other information on the complaint.