P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I am the daughter of a world war 11 veteran....he has died

Customer Question

I am the daughter of a world war 11 veteran....he has died many many years ago at the age of 56...I was just curious if their were any type of benefits for the dependent of a veteran...I am now 69 years old and have never even thought about this topic until recently having a discussion with my aunt whose husband was killed in battle during the war...so very sorry to take up your time...I truly appreciate any information...
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
There are benefits for dependents...but they are limited for children.
A child can receive a pension if the are "helpless"
This is defined as having a disability that prevents them from working AND them having the disability from prior to turning 18
So for you? If you have been disabled since turning 18 you could apply
Otherwise there are no benefits.
This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell yyou there are more benefits but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.