CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I am retired Army Reserve (63 years old - 34 years service)

Customer Question

I do not know if I am eligible for JAG assistance - but here is my question -
I was hospitalized in a civilian hospital from 12 Oct - 3 Nov. I had a Subarachnoid bleed, which my civilian doctor is surprised that I survived.
Problem - all of my hospital bills have been paid. But the billing at Riverside Critical Care is giving me problems.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Medical billing issues can be tricky. The best way to get started is by getting as much documentation as possible (do not rely on someone at your insurance saying "it is all paid" - get the documents showing how much is being billed, and which of your insurance carriers has paid, and how much.

• Once you have a fully itemized bill (you should request the itemized bill from the provider), you can then start by deducting the payments each of your insurance carriers has paid.
  • Make sure that each of your carrier's payments has been properly credited.
  • Once you have done this, there may or may not be a remainder.
  • Make sure that the amount that you are being charged or billed is only that remainder (nothing more).
  • Then ask the provider for a "Payment Assistance Application" (PAA) from their billing department, this is a secondary form of payment assistance that gives you an ability to receive a reduction or waiver of this remainder.
  • After the PAA is processed, if there is again an amount due (any remainder after that), you can try negotiating a payment with them (either pay in full, a payment plan, or reduced or partial payment). Hopefully by this point there will not be anything for you to pay.