P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I have 15 years completed in the army reserves can I retire

Customer Question

I have 15 years completed in the army reserves can I retire with that time?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Can you tell me what happened...why did you not reach 20 good years ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went in control group for 3 years.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
I am sorry to bear bad news. To retire from the military (both active duty and reserve) requires either 20 years of service or a medical retirement (this process must happen while you are in a duty status).
There is, occasionally, TERA (temporary early retirement authority) where Congress allows an early retirement (the last one several years back required 15 years) but to retire under TERA requires the service member apply and be accepted for TERA while in a duty status.
This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can retire with 15 years but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.