Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

Does a agent that is with the UN peacekeeping, in

Customer Question

Does a agent that is with the UN peacekeeping, in Afghanistan, breaks a rule does he have to go to court and hire a Lawyer while in Afghanistan ? I know at Captain that's with the un peace keeping and he is a secret agent . I dont think they are allowed to have cell phone or laptop while their. I received a call saying he got caught with a phone ,without the sim in it , a friend of his said ,and that he is in dark room untill he goes to court and he will have to pay money for military lawyer go he can get him out of it. Really doesnt seem right at all .please advise. Thank you Ann
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information. Can you tell me if this person is saying they are in U.S. military?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He already served in the army ,so now he is with the UN peacekeeping in Afghanistan, a captain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been going to the missions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was in the us military ,but not now ,he is with the UN peacekeeping

Thank you for your reply. I assume your answer is yes, this is someone who says they are from U.S. Unfortunately, this is a scam. One of many that cyber criminals carry out using online social media and dating sites to perpetrate. This person you have been communicating with is not who they say they are and no, he wouldn't be paying for a military attorney or even be in trouble for what he says he did.

You can report this fraud either to the FTC or IC3, the latter being a Federal criminal investigative arm that works with international law enforcement to track down these cyber criminals.

Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he is not from the US , he lives in UK . I KNOW FRIENDS THEIR
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are saying that peacekeeping agents are allowed to have cellphone while asign on missions in Afghanistan

Alright, well although it is still a scam, you would have to report it to UK authorities or Interpol.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he lied saying he got caught with phone and was put in darkroom and will go to court in while in camp in Afghanistan, and will need to pay a lawyer .

Yes. In fact, as mentioned, he is lying about who he is. That is what cyber criminals do. They use someone else's identity.

Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answers I provided to you on the 3rd. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work), that the customer thinks have gone through. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.
Your question came back to me showing you had replied, however, I don't see a reply. Did you have further follow up questions for me?