P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Are members of the military allowed to disobey unlawful

Customer Question

Are members of the military allowed to disobey unlawful orders?
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are members of the military allowed to disobey unlawful, or unconstitutional orders?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Not only are they allowed, but generally it is required under the law.
Example: At Me Lai, Vietnam an Army Lieutenant received an order, in essence, to kill all the residents of a particular village, all women and children. That was clearly an illegal order. He followed the order and was later convicted of murder
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Follow up. wanted to see if you had follow on questions. IF so, please feel free to ask. If not, please rate the answer so I may receive credit