P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My husband was in the military years and was medically

Customer Question

My husband was in the military for 19 years and was medically discharged and is now a wounded war vet. Because he wasn't in for 20 years, he recieves no benefits and not even a military card to get on bases. Unbelievable that we can't even get on bases or use commissary. He was an apache longbow pilot who got sadams two sons. This is the thanks we get. I told him to get a lawyer and fight for this. But he said to just forget about it. I would love to surprise him with a card to get on bases, etc. He was 11 days shy of these benefits. He has PTSD and now works at the VA hospital. Can you help us with this?
Thank you,
From his beloved wife of 25 years
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Sorry, I do not understand the question...are you asking the rules required to retire from the military? Or are you asking if there are exceptions to the rules? Would it help to chat on the phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I am asking exceptions to the rules.. also, is there any way to get him a card to get us on bases. It's embarrasing to have to be turned around when we have attempted to get on and have served for all those years.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Can oh tell me, what is his VA rating percentage?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Sorry...typo. Can you tell me...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure. Does that make a difference?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Is he rated by the VA?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure he is. He won't give me the info, tho. Can you tell me the differences in each?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
The veterans administration breaks down the ratings into percentage, in 10% intervals from 0% to 100%.
For VA ratings of 100% the veteran is entitled to an ID card that allows them access to military installations. For your spouse, is his rating is at 100%? He would be entitled to an ID card to access the base. If his rating is below 100% and if any of his conditions worsen so that he can increase the rating and achieved the 100% mark? Then he would be entitled to the ID card.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Welcome I wish you both the best through this. A reminder to please rate the answer so I may receive creditPhil