Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am retired miliary, have medicare part A and . have a heart

Customer Question

I am retired miliary, have medicare part A and B. have a heart attack, have to go to a none VA hospital in an emergency. will VA pay the 20% that medicare doesn't?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Medicare and VA do not work together in general. If you go to a facility other than the VA, then medicare pays first and then the VA can indeed pay the expenses that is not covered by medicare. If you go to a VA hospital, then as you realize medicare does not pay anything. You need to file with medicare first and then when that has been settled you need to file the difference with the VA with proof of what medicare paid.