P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I am retired Navy with 50% disability. I am going through

Customer Question

I am retired Navy with 50% disability. I am going through a divorce in the state of Washington. My wife was only married to me the last 7.5 years of my military carrier. But we have been together for 28 years, living in this god forsaken state after I retired. She is going after both my retirement and my medical pension. My lawyer is scratching her head between the difference of retirement pay and medical pension and my soon to be x's entitlement of either. Need some clear cut federal laws in connection with these. My understanding is that she does not qualify for 50% of my retirement because she does not meet either the 10/10 or 20/20/20 or 20/20/15 rules for my retirement and that she cannot touch my medical pension. I just need references to look up and to give her. This is a community property no fault state and it doesn't matter that she's cheating on me. We are able to argue spousal waste to a tune or 175K over the last 7 years due to gambling.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Happy to help with this; would it help to chat on the phone? I could talk to either you or your attorney about this.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Follow up on this; what is it you're looking for specifically?