P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My daughter is pregnant with the father being a single military

Customer Question

My daughter is pregnant with the father being a single military specialist. He has asked her to sign papers stating he has 51% custody of the baby so he can collect BAH and be able to pay child support with the BAH money. I am under the understanding that BAH has to be used for housing off base or on base and that a specialist may not be allowed this even if he has a dependent. I am also under the understanding child support would be required as long as he is listed on the birth certificate as the father. I have been advised by a civilian attorney to contact JAG to get clarification on this. Thank you.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Happy to help, are you asking whether or not this 51% is required for him to be ordered to pay the money? Or if the 51% could be used to allow him to receive extra money for the military?