Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

I have been online from Christian Mingle with a man representing himself as an Army colone

Customer Question

I have been online from Christian Mingle with a man representing himself as an Army colonel in Afghanistan-Kabul. He was asking for an unlocked, GMS cell phone which has not been sent. I have an address of a "comrade" to send this phone, in Bronx. This individual on Facebook is just about as U S military security organized as this older, single lady is!Irespect the U S military far too much to not lodge a complaint. No merchandise or money was swapped, thanks to Gazelle. Are there any legal steps I can pursue? I have email correspondence and military photos in hand.
Thank you!
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is actually representing a K-9 as well. Colonel, base commander, and dog-handler.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question, however I am a bit confused about what your question is about. Are you confirming that you are being scammed or are you thinking that this alleged military member is asking you to do something illegal by sending a phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am being scammed I believe- which is no big deal. If this guy is impersonating a U S officer, commander, and a K-9, that is a much larger deal.
I cannot find the military name he is using or records of owning property in Cleveland and Billings.
Thank you for clarifying that. There is no doubt you are being scammed. It is a sad fact that criminals pretending to be military servicemembers frequent these dating sites in an effort to find victims that they can take advantage of. Often they actually use the names and photos of real servicemembers that they get from other social media sites. In any event, if you want to report the scam, you can do so in two ways. One is to report it directly to the Site, so they can take that profile down and the other is to report it to the FTC. You can find out more about how to do that at the following link: http://www.cid.army.mil/romancescam.html Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way to clarify that Colonel ***** ***** in Kabul is fictitious?
Not really, as that information is not available to the public, and as mentioned, these scammers often use real names, but they aren't that person. They have stolen someone's identity. So, there may be a real Colonel Collins, but that is definitely not who you are talking to. The FTC can close that loop with the military if there is an issue of identity theft, but for your purposes you definitely are not speaking to a military servicemember.
Hello again, I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 22nd. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box for this question, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/ Thankyou.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you , Marsha- pretty much knew the answer to my question before I asked ! It's sad but true- people impersonate people all the time. Myself included- just needed confirmation ! Thank you!
You're welcome and I wish I had better news for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Confirmation was what I requested- no more online dating for me! I'll by a pet!!!! Thank you....
My pleasure.