P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Good morning. I previously asked a question. My question now

Customer Question

Good morning. I previously asked a question. My question now is as follows: I provided, in person, a typed statement to an officer's boss regarding a relationship the officer had. Based on what was stated, the boss has initiated a 15-6. I was contacted
by the IO to meet with him. What are my rights? What should I be concerned about? I am a government civilian. I intend to provide the typed statement to the IO and not answer any questions not answered in that statement. I will invoke my right to remain silent
for any questions that deviate. Is that reasonable? Also, can I ask if I will be brought in for any additional questioning, meetings etc after our meeting?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.Sorry...I want to make sure I understand. Are you the suspect in this? Or a witness?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Witness (as far as I know). I am not the officer. I am a civilian.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I ask at the start if I am a suspect? I don't think I am since the IO is coming from out of state to meet with me and is located at the same base as the officer.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
ThanksFirst, it is good to understand that you have no legal obligation to give any statement at all. Period. So you could refuse to cooperate if you like. And if you are a suspect? Or if you committed misconduct? This is the best course of action by far.YOu can ask if you are a suspect, but that is a waste of time...since they can lie to you if they want...there is no law preventing the investigator to lying to suspects to attempt to gain information.But if you did not commit misconduct and are not the subject of the investigation you may want to provide information. IN such a case, a written statement is not a bad idea...you control what information you provide.Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have previously submitted a 2 page typed statement of sorts, in person, to the officer's boss (officer is an O-5, boss in an O-6). Since that is already "evidence" I figured I just keep to what I have previously submitted.How could I be a suspect if the IO is from the same base/area as the officer? I would think that if I'm a suspect, my leadership would have informed me that a 15-6 is underway, or if they don't, then the IO assigned would be from the local area (albeit another command/unit/office etc)
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea on if you are a suspect or not...what you are describing it does not sound like you are one. But I am not privy to what information is available to the IOAnd what you are describing, it sounds like you have provided evidence. There is no legal obligation you provide more evidence