P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Trying to determine if I would be eligible va benefits.

Customer Question

Trying to determine if I would be eligible for any va benefits. In 1981 I joined the US Marines Reserve program. Completed basic and mso training then transferred to active reserve status in Dallas. After 4 years went into inactive reserve status for 2 years. Even though is was inactive, I was obligated to report for duty if called up.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. In order to assist you I will need a bit more information. When you say you were "active" reserve status, do you mean selected Reserve where you were drilling once a month? Or, were you on active-duty? Also, did you enlist prior to, or after October 16, 1981? Finally, what specific VA benefits are you asking about?