Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

I have a friend who is

Customer Question

I have a friend who is a LT in the Army deployed to Afghanistan. He had to stay longer than he was supposed to stay because he owed a bill to the base for commissary I believe. He also owed a fellow soldier Money and was told he could not leave before he paid both loans. He finally paid his loans and was allowed to leave. He had to take his leave papers from Afghan to Nigeria to turn them in and now is asking for a BTA of 5 thou$$$$$ from ME so he can board plane in Nigeria. I asked him why hw was not on a Military plane and he gave me a strange answer. He says because he wasn't allowed to leave when he was supposed to, he has to fly on a regular flight out of Nigeria. Does this make sense? I think he is not telling me the truth and is just wanting my $. Can you help me here?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
This is a different version than I have heard before, however, this is a scam. We don't land our soldiers in Nigeria on their way back from a deployment in Afghanistan. If there are money issues, we have them handle those when they return to their base in U.S. This is actually a very common scam being run out of the African nations by social media scam artists that create fake social profiles using military member pictures from hacked accounts from Facebook. I've had my pictures used before. Regardless, you are correct to worry about this, because it is a person just trying to steal your money.
Expert:  Miel-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/military-law/97ddn-friend-lt-army-deployed-afghanistan.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.