P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I was separated from the US Air Force on 1 June 1962 under honorable c

Customer Question

I was separated from the US Air Force on 1 June 1962 under honorable conditions. In the intervening years both my form dd214 with the raised seal and the formal discharge (Certificate with the raised seal) papers were destroyed in a flood. I was in 15th Air Force, 6th Armaments & Electronics squadron stationed at Walker Air Force B, Roswell New Mexico at time of separation. I am A1C Edwin James Reynolds AF12561940 and served actively from 20 April 1958 to 1 June 1962.Since I am nearing the end of my life tour, I would like to have these officials records to proudly frame on my home wall an eventually pass on to my pass on to my family. At the time of my severance from the service I still had two years of inactive duty to be served, which would make the official discharge 1 June 1964. I would appreciate any help in getting official replacements of these TWO VERY IMPORTANT documents. Thank you.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Sir, I want to make sure I understand. You want duplicates of the raised seal documents ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'm truly sorry to be the one to have to bear bad news. What you're requesting is not possible. That is, the original documents you received are no longer available.
The military maintains copies of your records at the national archives. So it is possible to receive documents that verify your service. However, the national archives does not maintain the original documents They keep copies that are typically stored on microfiche of in an electronic format.
You can request copies of your records here
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/
The national archives will send you copies at no cost. However, these documents will not have the raised seal.
This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that they will provide you duplicates with a raised seal but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Sir, follow up on this...wanted to see if you had any additional questions.
Phil