P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Would tricare help with rest home care

Customer Question

Would for life tricare help with rest home care
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
Can you tell me, is this for a military member or for a dependent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the spouse. Wanting to know if I had to go to a rest home would tricare for life help
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Sorry one more...can you tell me when your spouse served in the military (what years)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll just have my Attorney do research @ my appointment on the 15th. Thanks for your offer but no
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Sorry...I do not understand are you not wanting to disclose when your spouse served (as that can be a basis for a pension)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phillip do not remember the year he went into the service . He retired in 1971. How could I find out
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
That is all I need...if he served in 71 or 70? He is a "war time veteran".
That makes it possible for you to apply for a "widows pension" from the Veterans Administration (VA).
Let me back up...
To answer the question about TRICARE, no...TRICARE (including TRICARE for life) will pay for medical expenses (like prescription drugs, doctors appointments and medical treatments). But TRICARE will not cover the cost of assisted living.
HOWEVER, it MAY be you can qualify for a widows pension from the VA. This pension is available for widows of war time veterans. It provides up to $1000/month to widows who qualify. It is a "needs based" pension. So your income and assets are taken into account in deciding if you qualify. If your income each month, after deducting for medical expenses, is more than $1000 you likely would not qualify.
But if you are in assisted living? That can be considered a medical expense...so that can help offset your income.
In my experience, many widows who are in assisted living, will qualify for this benefit.
You can contact your local veterans services officer (your county will have one) and have them help you apply.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Follow up on this...wanted to determine if you had additional questions.