Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

In 2012 my wife had an injury in basic when she fell 10 feet

Customer Question

In 2012 my wife had an injury in basic when she fell 10 feet on her back. She fractured her back, the drill sgt made her get back up. she was walking and sitting for 5 hours before she got medical attention. She needed emergency surgery for a spinal fusion. The Army gave her 10% rating, we fought it and they gave her 20%. My question is, can we try to get a higher rating for her back and what other rights do we have. Thank you
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The only way to appeal the rating is to get another VA doctor to review the case and examine her and get the disability rating increased. That is the only way to "try to get a higher rating," it requires convincing the doctor to say she deserves a higher rating and then you can file an appeal to the board if they will not increase her rating and payments.