P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I received a bcd in 1981 ua while serving on the uss ray ssn 653. I went ua 3 se

Customer Question

I received a bcd in 1981 for being ua while serving on the uss ray ssn 653. I went ua 3 separate times in an attempt to get out of the submarine service.I did not want out of the navy just out of sub service.During my court martial they gave me two choices,return to submarine duty or accept a bad conduct discharge.They told me the navy had already trained me for sub service and would not retrain me for other duty.I would have been willing to add service time to my enlistment in exchange for reasighnment to any other area of service in the navy. I thought sub service was strictly volunteer.Prior to this I had an execelent service record .I had a top secret security clearance and was part of the personnel reliability program.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
I am sorry for this dilemma but not sure I understand your question; are you asking if this would be a basis to upgrade your discharge?