P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I was discharged from the Army National Guards with a general

Customer Question

I was discharged from the Army National Guards with a general under honorable conditions. How do I and who do I talk to about an upgrade to honorable? I am 40% service connected veteran. I am unable to obtain a home loan certificate due to this circumstance.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
To "upgrade" to honorable requires you convince the board of corrections to make this change.
It is by no means automatic...you have to show that an error was made (that you deserved an honorable discharge and they made a mistake and awarded you the general discharge).
The process to request is simple enough...you file this form
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf
With the board of corrections.
But as I mentioned, it is not automatic. You wold need to show that there was a mistake made and because of this they put down the wrong characterization...this can be very difficult to accomplish. It may be worth working with an attorney to assist.
That said, there is no requirement for an honorable discharge for the VA home loan guarantee...a general discharge will qualify you for this benefit (so long as you have 2 years of active service)
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.