PhilCave
PhilCave, Lawyer
Experience:  33 years military law experience.
16220785

I have a son in basic and he came positive by hair

Customer Question

I have a son in basic and he came positive for THC by hair testing but not by urine. and if there a article call 15-9 that will put him out?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  PhilCave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for asking your question.
The hair tests are fairly reliable. In some ways they are considered more reliable than urine. Except, there can be situations of possible contamination.
If he is given an Article 15, that will be used as an automatic basis to separate him for misconduct-drug abuse.
He needs to talk with a Trial Defense Service attorney on post. They are free. They can help him understand the process, and can also tell him what situations they are seeing there where there are irregularities or problems with the test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But he didn't do in the army he used it a year before he went in. What I'm getting from my son is the half the company came positive in a urine test and that there was something wrong with the batch of urine samples and the chain do command decided to use hair testing.