P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My son is at Ft. Benning . He has wanted to be in

Customer Question

My son is at Ft. Benning for basic. He has wanted to be in the military for years. He has been there for almost 3 weeks and called me yesterday to tell me he has been in hospital twice for migraines and his Drill Sergeant does not believe him and has basically told him he is a liar and he is going to make his life miserable. He has suffered from migraines since he was 12 (we have documentation-neurologists and emergency room visit records). We thought he had outgrown them as he had not had one in about a year or so. They are making him continue with bootcamp with the migraine and he apparently has made statements that he just wants to die. So now they have him on suicide watch. We don't know what to do for him. We have no address or no way of communicating with him and we don't want to make it worse by 'Mommy or Daddy' calling. Is there a way to get him the medical help he needs? Any information is appreciated.
Kelly D.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.
There is certainly recourse. Would it be easier to chat on the phone about this?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
I can type some thoughts up as well. Let me know your preference