Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

My son is in the Navy. He was academically released from corpsman

My son is in the Navy. He was academically released from corpsman school at Ft. Sam Houston. He was re-rated and sent to Engineman school in Great Lakes. Today, he failed a test and was told he was going to be discharged from the navy. Can he ask to be sent to fleet A undesignated?

Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your son's situation. Although the Navy can send sailors to the Fleet who are unrated, they must eventually be rated. There are a few ratings though that don't require an A school, such as a Botswain's Mate. I can't second guess why the Command has said he is being processed for separation, but if they believe that he doesn't have potential for further service, or for some other reason, he is not going to work out, they can discharge him.

However, he can certainly try asking to be sent to the Fleet unrated and then maybe when he gets to his Command he can find something that interests him enough and that he can learn on the job, that make make him successful in A School again. Or perhaps, as I mentioned, strike for something that doesn't require a school.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This just happened a few hours ago and he has not asked for undesignated. Just wanted to know if he has that choice?
He has the right to ask, but it is the Command's choice whether or not to retain him. So, he should do it if he is willing to be undesignated/unrated for a while. Not always the best jobs while onboard a ship or in a Command, but at least still on active-duty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does he have to submit his request in writing?

Yes, he should submit a chit/request in writing through his chain of command.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, I will tell him to do that as soon as possible.

You're welcome and best of luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

You bet