P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

My 85 year old father (Navy vet) WWII era passed away in September

My 85 year old father (Navy vet) WWII era passed away in September 2013. They (Mom& Dad) never enrolled in Medicare Part D when they turned 65 primarily because Dad's prescription covered him by VA and my Mom had no real prescription need, so now my Mom has no coverage. I found this out and see it's something she needs to have for the future. In my research I found out about the high penalty she will may need to pay on a monthly basis...I'm guessing about $77 /month in addition to the roughly $35 for the coverage and associated co-pays, etc. One health insurance agent indicated that that military vet spouses also had prescription coverage. I haven't found anything supporting that. Is this true?
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Military vet spouse CAN have medical coverage, including prescription drug coverage, in some circumstances.

The coverage is called CHAMPVA. This is a subsidized insurance program (it is subsidized by the federal government, so the costs are considerably less than open market rates). It is available to spouses of veterans who are rated as "100% disabled" and the disability is connected to their service. It is also available to widows of veterans who die as a result of a service connected disability

So if your father was rated by the VA for a disability and he passed because of that disability? Then mom would rate CHAMPVA as well as a pension from the VA.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can