P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Was the Army Corps of Engineers considered a part of active

Was the Army Corps of Engineers considered a part of active military service? My uncle served in this organization during World War II. His wife is ill and if this is considered active duty, she will receive a discount from the nursing home
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This depends...do you know if he ever received a "DD214" or "discharge certificate" from the Army?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't found out yet.
Thanks

That is the key

The Army Core of Engineers consisted of BOTH federal contract employees and service members during WWII. If your Uncle was a service member (on active duty) then he would be considered a veteran. If he was a federal employee? Then not.

You can find out easy enough...you can request his record here

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/

If he was in the service, he will have a record and they will provide it if you are the next of kin and ask. Since you are not next of kin, you may want to have the wife make the request, but you can assist her in the process.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can