P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I found out that a neighbor who is no longer married to a member

I found out that a neighbor who is no longer married to a member of the military has kept her military ID and base stickers and uses them to gain access to the base, shop at the commissary, etc. I believe this is a serious violation and threatens base security, which is very important to maintain, especially in light of the recent incident in Virginia. Taxpayers are also affected by people who receive military privileges which they are not entitled to. To whom would I report this situation so it can be investigated to confirm that the person is not entitled to use the ID? She is also living with someone who is active duty and not divorced. My experience is that while this is not allowed the military looks the other way. Please let me know the regulations on that situation as well. Thank you.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

You would want to report this to the local DEERS office (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System)

This is the ID card office on the base.

They can investigate and, if appropriate, take steps to ensure that the person in question is not improperly using this ID card

If you are not military yourself (so can not access the base to go to the DEERS office then simply contact the base commander and inform them.

As for the person living with a married service member? That would be adultery (on the part of the service member) and you can report this as well to the base commander.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply.