How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 33804
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I found out that a neighbor who is no longer married to a member

This answer was rated:

I found out that a neighbor who is no longer married to a member of the military has kept her military ID and base stickers and uses them to gain access to the base, shop at the commissary, etc. I believe this is a serious violation and threatens base security, which is very important to maintain, especially in light of the recent incident in Virginia. Taxpayers are also affected by people who receive military privileges which they are not entitled to. To whom would I report this situation so it can be investigated to confirm that the person is not entitled to use the ID? She is also living with someone who is active duty and not divorced. My experience is that while this is not allowed the military looks the other way. Please let me know the regulations on that situation as well. Thank you.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

You would want to report this to the local DEERS office (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System)

This is the ID card office on the base.

They can investigate and, if appropriate, take steps to ensure that the person in question is not improperly using this ID card

If you are not military yourself (so can not access the base to go to the DEERS office then simply contact the base commander and inform them.

As for the person living with a married service member? That would be adultery (on the part of the service member) and you can report this as well to the base commander.

P. Simmons and other Military Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply.

Related Military Law Questions