Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

Back in 1990, I did not graduate in time to fulfill my obligation

Back in 1990, I did not graduate in time to fulfill my obligation to the Army Reserves. I never attended basic and never followed up (I know, wrong thing to do). How can I find out what type of discharge I was given. I believe it is what is holding me back from being able to purchase a firearm. I am able to purchase a hunting license and do not have a felony record
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.

You would need to order your military records from the archives.

Go there, fill out the SF-180 form and obtain your records. It will indicate the basis of your separation from the military and note what your discharge type was.

Given those facts though, I would assume that you receive an entry level status separation, which should not have any effect on your gun rights.

I would check it though, because it is possible (in fact, it happened to me) that they transposed some numbers and put the wrong code down. It could appear that your discharge was some other purpose. Look on your DD Form 214 specifically.

If it is in error, ask to have the record corrected by filing a DD Form 149 with the military records corrections board.