Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
20011183

Goodmorning, At what age can American soldiers retire and

Goodmorning,

At what age can American soldiers retire and is this depending on what grade they have in the army?
If a soldier has already indicated that he intends to retire after his last mission, has the Government the right to withdraw his request by sending him on another mission?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines, including JAG.

From the facts that you've outlined already in your question, it seems that you are asking this question based on statements that are being made to you by someone that you met on line who is claiming to be a soldier near retirement.

Is that correct? I wanted to just check rather than just giving you the answers to the questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes that's right

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes that's correct

Ok. As I suspected, you are being scammed by someone, most likely from an African nation (that's where they tend to operate because their governments don't work with us to find them) in order to get money from you.

There is no age that a person has to be to retire from the U.S. military. What matters is how many years of service that they have. If they have 20 years of service or more, they can retire...regardless of their age.

They don't have to buy their way out early, pay to avoid their last missions, pay to have their retirement processed or to name a beneficiary. There should never be any expense, from the military, that they need to have someone assist them in paying.

Once his retirement date is set, it is pretty much guaranteed. They can always extend someone beyond their retirement date, but that is very uncommon....in fact, exceedingly uncommon, and when it does happen, there is no way around it. It is absolute, and you can't pay to get out if that extension. In fact, you can't buy your way out of any situation with the U.S. military.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your answer. I've one other question.

He always send his messages by hotmail.com.

I've heard that every person in the USArmy has an AKO or APO number for messages but is it not allowed to use this for private messages?

By the way, I've already contacted the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) to rapport the scam.

If military members have access to the internet, they can use any form of email communication they wish.

So yes, they can use hotmail, gmail or various other forms of email servers. So can scam artists.

An APO is an address for mail, like letters, not email.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer