P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

how do i get my military records sealed

how do i get my military records sealed
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

It is not actually possible to "seal" a military record...that simply is not an available provision under the law.

It is possible to "correct" a record...if there is mistake in the record, the board of corrections for military records has the power to make changes to a record, including removing information that was placed in error.

But it is not possible to seal.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i've knowed some frends that thay told me there recordes were sealed just dont want family or friends to have acsess to them is there nothing i can do?

You can refuse to allow access. Under the Privacy Act of 1974 your records are protected from disclosure UNLESS you grant access. So simply do not allow access. may be that an employer wants access to give you a job. In that case you have to weigh the desire for the job vs your desire to prevent access. But you have the final say on access to your records