Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

So recently I received an ELS discharge from the Marine Corps

So recently I received an ELS discharge from the Marine Corps and I was wondering if I had to put that I was in the military on job applications since I never completed training. And I was also wondering if they can find the reason for my els. I had depression problems so I talked to someone and was recommended for a els but I've only had depression since I've been in I have never had it prior to the Marines and I don't want future employers thinking I have all these problems. My discharge is honorable Uncharacterized how does that come up in a background check? I'm confused on how I go about getting jobs I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone in my command about this cause they didn't wanna talk to me so I would love some help..thank you

Thank you for the information and your question. Just for clarification, did you get into any sort of trouble that lead to this discharge or did you just disclose to your Command or medical that you were depressed and so they ELS'd you? What kind of work are you applying for or thinking about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did not get into trouble I just came up to my command and I'm looking for a job in the trades like heating and air or an electrician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What I've heard is that it's like I never existed to the marine corps but i don't know if employers will be able to look it up still
Hello again and thank you for the information, it was helpful. You are not required to list your time in the Marine Corps if you don't want to in this case. If you were applying for a Federal job or a job in law enforcement or something that required a security clearance you would have to disclose this Federal service, but not for just a regular job with no security clearance issues. That said, keep in mind that some employers may ask you about any gaps in time that you have on an application and you need to be prepared to address that issue in whatever way you think is appropriate.

But, your service in the Marine Corps will not show up on a regular background check. That only checks for criminal history and sometimes for credit history (employer must tell you if they are doing a credit check.) So, you do not have to disclose your depression either.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay so only if I were to apply for a government job I would have to tell them? What if they ask if I served can I say no or can they some how find out nd pull something up from the Marines
Yes, that is correct. You are only required to disclose your service in the situations I named. If an employer asks you outright if you served in the military, although you don't have to disclose it, just keep in mind that most employment is "at will" so if they find out you didn't tell them the truth about that they might let you go for not telling the truth. The fact is though, that in an "at will" situation an employer doesn't have to have a reason to let someone go anyway, so if you don't want to tell them you served, then you don't have to.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm thankful for all of your help I have one more thing, do u know what discharge I'm getting, I'm still in processing but they said something like honorable Uncharacterized does that come up as just an honorable or does it come up as a general
You're welcome. It will actually come up as an ELS characterization. It is not an Honorable, a General, an OTH, BCD or a DD, it is its own characterization. So, you cannot say you received an Honorable discharge because you didn't. ELS is just created for situations where there just was not enough service (still in training) to warrant any other characterization. So, it isn't bad or good, just neutral. It doesn't indicate that you did anything wrong, it just didn't work out.