P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

I am on a 10 day leave right after basic training. Im positive

I am on a 10 day leave right after basic training. I'm positive I want to get out. I'm not mentally prepared for what's up ahead. Im always sad and I'm never happy. I haven't been to my first duty station. How should I react? What will happen if they tell them I want out? Would I be able to get out?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

can you tell me, which service are you in?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Active duty for the United States Army

Thank you8

The first thing I will tell you is that the real Army (the one you go to AFTER you finish bootcamp/AIT/Schooling) is not the one you know now. THat is important to understand. You made it through basic. If you can suck it up for a few more months, and make it to the real Army you may well find it is not bad. Not bad at all.

So I would encourage you to not give up quite yet.

Having said that, if you want out now? It aint going to be easy. And you will not get a good discharge. In fact, you can be assured you will most likely get a "bad" discharge, typically an "other than honorable" conditions discharge. This removes all Veterans Administration benefits and would be a negative mark for potential employers. It is near impossible to land a government job with an OTH and even private sector jobs are tough to get.

The thing is, the Army spent a good deal of money to find and train you...they are not going to let you walk away.

Now...if you are dead set that you need out? I would approach the unit chaplin and let them know. They may be able to assist you, or at least provide some counseling.

You mention you are sad always. Consider also going to medical and see if you have depression or some other mental health condition. If you do, that can be a basis for discharge that would not be a "bad discharge"

If you do not have a medical condition that limits your ability to serve, there is really no "easy" way out.

If you are a female and become pregnant, that is one possible way out, though no longer automatic.

If you have a deeply held religious belief that prevents your serving in the Army you can apply for a conscientious objector discharge. This is effective if it applies, though it can take many months (up to a year or longer to process)

Otherwise, the only way out will be to stop training. To refuse to participate in training. This will get you out...but with a poor discharge characterization that you are stuck with for the rest of your life

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: I would sure try and make it past your schooling and see what the real Army is like...it may be you find it not so bad and can make it through.

Otherwise, consider seeing if you have a medical condition that limits your ability to serve....short of that you may be stuck with a poor discharge if you exit the Army

Let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help if I can
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience: Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.