P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

I have been living with my daughter and son-in-law (E6 in Army)

I have been living with my daughter and son-in-law (E6 in Army) for the past four years. He may be PCSing to Germany. What steps do we need to take for me to be able to go with them? Thanks!
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You (your son in law) would need to have you approved as a dependent.

Then, he would have to have his orders modified to allow you to travel along.

Under the rules that apply to military travel, a dependent can be authorized travel, including PCS travel

To be granted dependent status, your son in law must file these forms

And be able to show that he has paid at least 51% of your living expenses over the last year.

If he can show that he supports you, and can have his orders modified to allow you to travel? Then you can go along.

He may want to start soon. The military will not even consider an application to allow you to travel with until you are approved as a dependent. So your son in law must first get you dependent status. Then he can request that his orders be modified to include you

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, quick follow-up: do I have to be disabled or indigent, etc., to be declared a dependent?

No. But you must be financially dependent. Your son in law will have to demonstrate that he has paid over 50% of your expenses for the last year. If that is the case, then the military will consider you a dependent (and issue you an ID card to boot)