Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

When I was 19, I joined up for the Navy DEP. I changed my mind,

When I was 19, I joined up for the Navy DEP. I changed my mind, called my recruiter, and never shipped. 12 years later, I am finishing up a degree and am serious about the Army. Is backing out before shipping for basic a permanent bar to any future military service?

Thank you for the information and question. Well, ultimately your recruiter is right in the sense that you won't know if you are accepted until you apply. There might be many reasons for not being accepted these days since they need for Officers in the Services is less, so they can be more selective. That said, opting out of the DEP is not an automatic bar to future service. In fact, I was in Army DEP many years ago and had to withdraw and later was commissioned in the Navy as a JAG, so it can be done.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My only other inquiry would be whether my goal of military medicine is more or less selective than other types of officers. By the time I apply, I'll have a med school acceptance letter and be under the age limit for that of 33.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, all of the professions, JAG, Medical, Dental, Nursing, are more selective because they have fewer slots and, depending on the economy, sometime 10 fold applicants for those slots. But, if the economy is doing pretty good, there would be less applicants, so a better chance. They though will look more to your performance in school and any other background issues that make you stand out (in a good way. )