P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I served in the Navy from 1957-1961 in Memphis, TN. I was

I served in the Navy from 1957-1961 in Memphis, TN. I was told on discharge that being there was no combat by US forces in that period, I wasn't entitled to benefits. I never applied for any based on that. Was that correct?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Sir, that depends on what benefits you are seeking.

The VA offers a variety of benefits. If you served on active duty, and received an honorable discharge, you are eligible for a good number of benefits. For example, you are eligible for the VA home loan program. And you are eligible for VA health care (depending on your income....there are income limits that can apply)

You are eligible for burial at a national cemetery and for military honors including a flag and a burial marker.

You are eligible for compensation if you have any service connected disability.

It is true that you are not eligible for the pension benefit program...this is a needs based income supplement available to disabled veterans. That benefit requires wartime service.

But you are eligible for the remaining VA benefits.

Please let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can