P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

I am disabled and live with my daughter and her family. My

I am disabled and live with my daughter and her family. My son-in-law is a chaplain in the army and is about to be reassigned (we don't know where). I am not financially dependent on him, but I do depend on the family for my care. They cook for me, help me with daily tasks, take me for medical exams and treatment, etc. The family wants me to move with them. Can my moving expenses and housing be covered by the military? Is there such a thing as a physically or medically dependent person?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You are order to rate "dependent status" your son in law will need to demonstrate financial support.

Under the rules that cover travel allowances, only dependents can be eligible for travel expenses. And to claim dependent status, he must show that he has provided financial support.

The organization that determines this is called DFAS (Defense Finance and Accounting Agency). , DFAS will apply a financial test to determine whether you receive over half of your income from your son - in - law.

Sorry to have to bear bad news, but unless he is providing you 1/2 your income support and has been for at least one year, you will not qualify as a dependent.