Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

My friend was married to a Veteran for ten plus years. He

My friend was married to a Veteran for ten plus years. He served in Vietnam and became a very abusive alcoholic over time. Sadly, she had to choose to protect her children and herself after he had a violent outburst. She filed for divorce however he never responded to any of the documents and signed nothing. The courts granted the divorce after 60 days. He passed away years ago, she still cared for him till he died but did not live with him. Is there anyway she could receive VA benefits? I am just curious. It seems after all she had been through with dealing with his PTSD she deserves something. She can't even afford health insurance.
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.

No, there isn't. VA benefits are for members of the military.

Now, there are some benefits that can extend to spouses, but the circumstances are limited.

First, spouses who were married to a military member for 20 years, their marriage overlapping 20 years of service, can obtain some benefits in their own right. She wasn't married to him long enough to have those benefits.

Second, there are some benefits that can be paid to a spouse that cared for a military member with service-connect disability. It's called DIC pay, but here's the problem. That is paid to spouses that care for military members, not former spouses. The moment that she divorced him, and I certainly understand her reasoning for that, but the moment she divorced DIC was taken off the table legally.

I wish I could tell you differently here, but those are the two legal benefits extending to military spouses and she isn't eligible for either.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much. I was hoping I missed something in my searches.
No problem. As I said, I wish I could say differently here.

Take care.