Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

I have a friend who just moved into my apartment complex because

I have a friend who just moved into my apartment complex because she is awaiting divorce from her husband who is enlisted in the navy. She is legally separated and has been since she found out about his having an affair. I am an officer in the Marines and her and I have become friends and hang out. We are not sleeping together and I have told her that I cannot be more than friends with her until her divorce is final. My question is though can I still get in trouble for hanging out with this girl in my apartment or hers, or for even going out and grabbind dinner or something of that nature?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Unless you have sexual relations, then there would be no criminal action that the Marine Corps could bring against you. The only exposure, based on what you have told me is adultery. That said, as you know, people can get the wrong impression about what might be going on, and depending on whether her husband is aware of your friendship and wants to make trouble for you, then he could do so by reporting an alleged sexual relationship that you would have to respond to. So, if you think that might be an issue, then you want to try to avoid situations where the two of you might be alone in your, or her, apartment, so that there is no "appearance" of something going on. That said, if her husband isn't an issue, and no one else will care, then you probably don't have to be as guarded.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand limiting alone time in our apartments but I'm also not trying to sneak around like I have something to hide. She doesn't speak to her ex anymore and I've never met him. What brought this up in my mind was the other night she came to dinner with a buddy and me and as we were leaving I got a text from my ex who is jealous and territorial to say the least saying that she was there and saw my truck. My ex knows my friend and if she saw she was with us there is no telling what she conjured up in her mind. Being totally against adultery and not wanting to have an issue to deal with at work I just wanted to make sure our hanging out as friends wasn't something that could pose an issue outside a misrepresented perception.
Hello again and thank you for your reply. I hadn't really thought of someone that you might have, or had, a relationship with, but I can understand your concern. She could try to cause trouble for you, but no, there is nothing that you are doing that you have told me about that is unlawful under the UCMJ or civilian law.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that has me covered then. As long as I do not have sex with this girl I am good. Thanks for your input.
You're welcome and best of luck to you! If you can take a minute and leave a positive rating, I will get credit for assisting you. You can always come back and ask a follow up question at any time, the question is never closed to you.