P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

I was in the Marines from 07/1975 till 12/1987. I received

Customer Question

I was in the Marines from 07/1975 till 12/1987. I received 2 honorable discharges. I was one of the many who was let out of the military or should say forced out during the Reagan administration. After 12 years of Honorable service I received a piece of paper and a hnd shake. Cut short on a career. Why did some people get an early out severance and all I received was A discharge?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. I wouldn't be able to address your specific situation since I don't have all of the facts, including your service record and those of the people you are referring to. So, if that is the information you are looking for, we can't provide that service for you. However, if you want to know what might have been the reason why some people received separation pay and other's didn't then I might be able to help you there.

If you do want to discuss that, then can you tell me if you are saying that you personally knew servicemembers that were separated the year you were with 12 years of service who were offered separation pay? Or are you saying you have run across people or forums who have said they were separated at some later date or with more service who were paid separation pay?