Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG

hello sir or maam im in the military and might need a court

Customer Question

hello sir or ma'am im in the military and might need a court marriage because i can not come home to get married how can we go and do about this
Submitted: 3 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Based on your question what you are interested in is something called "Marriage by Proxy.” It is a marriage where one or both parties are absent physically from the place of the marriage. Marriage by Proxy is legal in only four states in the country: California, Colorado, Texas and Montana. A double proxy wedding, where neither party is present, is only legal in Montana. So, it is possible and there are services that you can find online that can facilitate the marriage. These marriages are legal and recognized in other states. They just can only be performed in the states I mentioned.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the legal answer I provided to you on the 19th. The Site has been a little buggy lately so the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.