P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

Hey, I signed a second enlistment. I also lat moved jobs.

Hey, I signed a second enlistment. I also lat moved jobs. I was a combat engineer and tried moving to infantry field. however, I stress fractured both my feet and an dropped from training. I am a USMC reservist and now being sent home. Can I option out of this current enlistment and go back to my old mos? I can't return to training because of job issues
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

They are not going to let you move anyplace if you are broken...are you facing a MEB now?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I am considered a medical drop. My full time job is a police officer. I was only granted 2 months of leave to attend the training. the infantry unit I was trying to transfer to is bringing me home. I don't know what to expect, but I know I can't come back to training and would like to stay in my original mos if possible. I would like to opped out of this one once I'm cleared medically

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Sorry... I serve as a volunteer firefighter and was called away. It appears you have relisted this...I will opt out and allow someone else to assist you

Best of luck to you Marine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It's understandable. I believe I accidentally hit the relist button. can you help me out on this?

Thank you

It sounds like the lat move was granted, is that correct? That is they sent you to ITBn for training at SOI, is that correct? And you were dropped from that for injury?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes to all above. I did not take any points or sign on bonuses

Ultimately I think the broader concern you are facing is the chance they discharge you based on this medical problem. If you have a medical issue that prevents you from training (in any MOS) and is expected to last one year or more, they Marine Corps will separate you.

I would expect them to explore this option based on your recent injury.

To answer the question...is it possible to "switch back" the answer is sure...that is possible. But not likely. Not at all. If the Marine Corps took the time to send you to a separate A school and you were injured in that school, the first thing the Marine Corps is going to do is ensure that you are physically able to continue to be a Marine.

If they find that you able to serve as a Marine, then I would expect them to send you back to A school (ITBn) That is since this is now your slotted MOS.

Can you request to switch?

Again, yes...but you have an uphill battle. This is now a MARFORRES issue...so it has to go to the general for approval.

Your immediate commander can certainly make this request...and if there is good reason for the change, I would expect MARFORRES to consider it.

You mention that there are work issues that now conflict...I would focus on that. I would focus your request, to your CURRENT COMMANDING OFFICER, on the civilian job conflict. That can be grounds to modify back

Again, they made the chance...MARFORRES made the change to train you as an 03. TO change back you will need a reason that is not tied to your current physical condition (since if you are not physically qualified, they are not going to keep you in any MOS)

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to help if I can
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience: Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.