Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG
19127644

This I going to be a odd one but here gos. As a supply sgt.

This I going to be a odd one but here go's. As a supply sgt. In ASAR I took extra items mostly clothes, boots, jackets never hard equipment tho. This happend in the late 90s. Nothing was ever said or found out. I think the statue of limitations has ran out. Here the odd part I feel horrible about what I have done and think about it often. Is there anything I could do to make good on my previous bad choices as a young dumb man? Thanks
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you tell me what it is that you had in mind?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not really sure. I was interested to see if you had any ideas or suggestions. I have thought about anonymous donations to a veteran organization or something along those lines. The amout that I took was not huge less than $1000 for sure. I realize this more of a moral problem on my end. I have grown a lot since a kid of 20 & now trying to teach my own kids right and wrong and I feel like a hypocrite. Btw are the statue of limitations passed? Thanks for your time.

Hello again Paul and thank you for your reply. I have to tell you that it is actually refreshing to have this question and see that there are people out there who have a conscience. Yes, the statute of limitations was, at most, 5 years for a felony under Federal and Military law, and for a misdemeanor, would have been 1 year. So, the SOL have run.

As for making things right, the first thing I thought of is exactly what you mentioned, which is to donate to a Veterans' organization. There are so many good organizations out there who are caring for Veterans' needs and the need is great right now. You could also, if you choose, make out a check to the U.S. Treasury and just send it in as a "donation" to reduce the National Debt. That sounds strange, but it is a real option. In the end, you should follow your instinct and heart on this. If there is an organization in your community that does a lot for Veterans than giving your money, or even your time, to them will hopefully make you feel like you closed that door.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney and former Navy JAG serving ashore, afloat and at the OJAG