P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

If you are on terminal leave a sued for custody of a child

If you are on terminal leave a sued for custody of a child are you still appointed a lawyer due to the soldiers and sailors relief act?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You are not. That is, the SCRA does not guarantee a lawyer. The SCRA can give a basis for a delay of a proceeding. But it will not work for a soldier on terminal leave.

And even if the soldier was on active duty, not on terminal leave, they would not rate a lawyer. You only get JAG if you are facing a court marital or other disciplinary proceeding.

I am very sorry to have to bear bad news.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its actually good news for me I'm the mother of the child in question her father is in the Marines and he has been threatening me with court for a while but never doing anything and I don't want to file before he is out if he's going to get a lawyer for free.