P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

I am active duty Army and my divorce was just finalized through

Customer Question

I am active duty Army and my divorce was just finalized through the courts. I was wondering where I am supposed to take it to first on post to get it annotated for the military. Also I recently renewed my lease at my apartment off-post and was wondering if I was going to be forced to break said lease or if I would be able to continue at a fixed BAH rate for the duration.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

You will want to submit this to the personnel office on the base (or, if your base does not have one, submit to your S1 office and they can record it)

You will no longer be eligible for BAH if you divorce. You may want to try and negotiate with the landlord to see if you can arrange to break the lease, or perhaps sublease to someone else.

Let me know if you have more questions.