Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

Whats happens if you "pop" on a drug test while taking legal

Whats happens if you "pop" on a drug test while taking legal (OTC) pro hormones
Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.

What is it that they say you came up positive for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just getting a inquiry into what could happen. I took a test about a week ago. I guess I figured if I could buy it OTC and it was considered legal I could take it.

Well, the problem with anything over the counter is that the military didn't prescribe it, so they don't know what is in it. They haven't screened their test to remove that legal hormone from potentially causing someone to come up positive on a UA test.

I can tell you now, if the test says that you've come up positive, it will be for steroids and they will try to kick you out. That is just the normal response. Even if you have the bottle in hand, they'll assume illegal steroids, because that is al their test is supposed to capture (though it can capture other, legal things).

If you have more than 6 years in service or they go for an other than honorable discharge (unlikely), you'll have the opportunity to present the OTC drug to them as the reason for the postive result. The board will then decide what to do.

If you aren't entitled to a board, only your chain of command will be involved and they'll decide what to do.

My point is that, only in a board setting, will you get to present the OTC as a defense and even then it is not an automatic defense to the allegations. They can still separate you, if they choose to.

This is why I NEVER recommend to people that they should take any supplement at all while in the military. You just never know what they all contain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So pretty much your screwed if the results come back positive. I have over 14 years in.

Ok. Well, you have enought time in that you actually have a much better shot than those that won't be entitled to a board hearing.

You'd get to put forward your entire military record, argue that you were just taking this OTC supplement and, it wouldn't be like coming up positive for marijuana and you saying "I have no idea how that happened...I walked by someone that was smoking something once and I ate a brownie my crazy uncle gave me."

You'd actually have a reasonable argument for the board. So, of peolpe that would be automatically "screwed" in this situation, I would say that your facts would be much more favorable than most.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I asked for a list of banned supplements from the UA coordinators and they gave me a small list and 1-andro was not on there. Nobody has been able to get me a banned list and the list I did find on line didn't have 1-andro on it either

Yes, the problem is that their list is always behind on what actually tests positive because they haven't been able to keep up with the new products that come on the market.

You would also have that as an argument, noting that the list that you've found doesn't have 1-andro on it.