Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

Going through a MEB board and chain of command trying to initiate

Going through a MEB board and chain of command trying to initiate an administrative discharge process. What can be the adverse effect on the MEB board and benefits

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.

With any MEB coinciding with an administrative discharge, they send both up for consideration. They are, in essence, dual processed so that higher levels of command can choose which separation to permit...the MEB recommended one or the administrative discharge.

The higher level of command, usually at the Secretary level (his/her delegee), can choose to allow the administrative separation and ignore the MEB.

Then you'd have to go through the VA process to establish a service connection to your injury/illness that is the basis for the MEB. So, one can get administratively discharged and still receive VA benefits rather than getting benefits from the MEB process.