Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.

I have a court hearing next week in a divorce situation: Are

I have a court hearing next week in a divorce situation: Are these statements true?
1. You must have 20 years of service to be eligible for retirement pension.
2. You can collect benefits immediately. If not, is it age 60?
3. You can sell the pension before retirement age. I saw several websites alleging this.
4. The pension can be divided in a divorce to a spouse of 17 years.

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I have nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines, including JAG.

1. Except in vary rare and specific circumstances, yes it is true. Sometimes, to make the military smaller, they will offer some certain people early retirement. Sometimes people are medically retired before reaching 20 years, but by and large, you need 20 to retire.

2. Depends on the type of retirement. Is it reserves or regular, active duty retirement? Reserve retirement is later, 60. Active duty retirement is immediate.

3. Yes, but this is a terrible idea, as they pay something close to $.50 on the dollar or less.

4. Yes, that is true.