P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

Hello. Im interested in knowing if attendance at the United

Hello. I'm interested in knowing if attendance at the United States Naval Academy means my son is "full time military". The reason for my query is to determine if he is an emancipated minor in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. And if attendance at Navy is deemed to be "full time military", where can I find that defined? Thank you.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

I ran a case law search for this in MA. No cases came up...that is, there is no case in MA that covers this.

So you have to look at the how the law evaluates Naval Academy contracts. You can see that here

10 US Code 6959

What you see (if you go to the link) is that on contract, the midshipman, in essence, begins a contract term for the length of school plus 5 years. So, in essence, this is the same as an enlistment for 9 years (4 years school, 5 years commissioned service)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Did you search case law just for Naval Academy or for any service academy (ie, West Point, Air Force, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine)?

For all service...there is a dearth of cases for military emancipation at all...seems not an issue in the past in MA