P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I have been discharged for MDI for assault and want back in

I have been discharged for MDI for assault due to my excessive force towards a self defense action... I have been given a honorable discharge re enlistment code 3f.Seperation code jga1.I understand i need a waiver from the commandant to get back in but No recruiters i have talked to will take up the task due to the chain of command refusing to let the process begin... Are there any ways i get get back in to the marine corps?? Would directly contacting the commandant be a good idea? Its all i ever wanted to be and it had been destroyed due to poor judgement on mine and another's side
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

It is true, the RE3 code will require a waiver. And they are tough to get.

The largest problem you face is the poor economy. The poor economy has caused a flock of people turning to the military for jobs. Despite the war recruiting is way up in all branches. The need for the services to grant waivers has decreased. For example the Marines recently decreased their maximum age for enlistment. Its tough today to get a waiver.

Frankly, you may want to attempt another service. Or wait a bit (for the economy to recover or the wars to get worse). For example, it is much easier today to get into the Army than the Marine Corps, and easier still to get into the National Guard.

You can certainly contact the Commandant of the Marine Corps...but I do not suspect that will help much. The Commandant will defer to the recruiting branch...so what you really need is to find that recruiter to help with the waiver application. It may be reaching outside your geographical area can help. Or, again, waiting a bit. Again, if the economy improves, or the wars get worse, I would expect the application process to get much easier.

Best of luck Marine

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist if I can
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience: Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.