P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.

internet info from states"..........DIC

internet info from states"..........DIC payable regardless of survivor's income or assets."

Is this verifiable info?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

Correct. DIC is offered to a widow if the spouse dies of a service connected disability. The key is that the death MUST be caused, either directly, or as a significant contributing factor. If this is the case, then DIC is awarded. Unlike pension, DIC is part of the compensation program...therefore it is awarded regardles of income/assets of the surviving spouse.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just testing. In fact you verified some things I had already read and was hesitating to file for DIC and perhaps trigger an audit of sorts. Still don't know if will. Looks like the reward would be meager t best.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am disheartened by your poor service rating. Not sure why that is...I mean you asked a simple question. I provided an answer that is accurate (DIC is not a needs based pension, so income is not taken into consideration).

You respond to my answer 24 hours later and, it seems, since I do not immediately respond (it wasafter midnight my time...sorry, I was asleep) you leave a poor service rating.

I am sorry I was not awake and able to respond immediately.

I take this job seriously and attempt to respond, accurately, as quickly as possible to customers. But I am human...and need to sleep on occasion.

Your question was if I verified? I am a VSO (veterans services officer)...I file claims for veterans and their dependents every day. I am quite certain in my answer. The reference is Chapter 13, Title 38 US Code.

Let me know if you have more questions...happy to assist