P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My son left for bootcamp on April 22, 2013. At about his 4th

Customer Question

My son left for bootcamp on April 22, 2013. At about his 4th week he said he started having heart palpatations. He was dropped to MRP and told, someone not sure who, that he had heart surgery when he was 9. This was not disclosed on his enlistment paperwork because, it was not surgery. It was an ablation which is considered a procedure. He was completely awake during it. Im worried not that this may cause him to get a fraudulent discharge. Im not sure whats going on, but Im sure the doctors there would know that an abaltion is NOT surgery. Should I be worried? Its been a week since I"ve talked to my son so im not sure whats going on. Police Academy after his four years is up. If was discharged unhororably he will not be able to join.

veryworried
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you confirm that your son did not mention any heart condition or problems on the list of illnesses and conditions that he had in the past on his medical forms at MEPS?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO it was son mentioned because it is NOT a heart problem. He had svt-super ventricular tachycardia. He had an extra nerve to his heart that was causing it to tach. HIs heart was perfectly fine. He had the surgery at 9 years old and never had another problem. Previous in bootcamp he had pnuemonia, i dont know if that could have caused it. Also, whos to saya he didnt have a panic attack. Those boys are under a great amount of stress. His Dr confirmed to me taht his heart was fine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
forget answering my question. My son just called, they are sending him home due to a bad EKG...nothing pre-existing. He's getting ESL'd ( i think thats what it is called) THanks anyway
Alright. If you do have any follow up questions, please feel free to ask. Best of luck to your son.