P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I have a question. I was trying to help someone get VA Compensation,

I have a question. I was trying to help someone get VA Compensation, but they was working with a lawyer and the lawyer told him that they wouldn't be able to get him service connected based on his file. I'm sort of trying to put this thing to rest for my own self because I spoke to another lawyer before and they gave me some other information. i'm just trying to understand the process. To start off I don't think this person was completely honest with his lawyer, but the person told me that when the reenlisted in the military they used a different a social security number to reenlist because they wasn't eligible to reenlist. So based off that information I would like to know would that be considered fraud, can he still apply for va compensation and would it be possible there would be different records because of the social issue.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years military law experience.

What you describe

"they used a different a social security number to reenlist because they wasn't eligible to reenlist"

Is fraud. No question about that.

IF they lied in order to get acceptance, that is fraudulent enlistment.

So that can certainly impact how the military decided to separate them.

That fact alone (they used a different a social security number to reenlist because they wasn't eligible to reenlist) is not significant to the VA...the VA is concerned about one thing...and one thing only...what was the characterization of discharge. If the soldier received an honorable discharge or an honorable conditions discharge? Then they are eligible for VA benefits.

If not? Then not.

So the key question for your friend is what type of discharge do they have. IF it is an honorable discharge then they will qualify for benefits

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Now that I understand. He was discharged honorably. Is he eligible for benefits. And if so, is it possible that the other number contains records.
Sure...that is possible. He would need to supply that information to the VA. Supply them with both discharge certificates. If his service was honorable, he is eligible for benefits
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks your the man.